The Living History of AuburnLast update on March 28, 2017
A BRIEF ACCOUNT OF THE FIRST FAMILIES TO SETTLE AUBURN TOWNSHIP, OHIO 44023
EARLIEST RESICENTS OF AUBURN TOWNSHIP
THE SECOND WAVE OF AUBURN SETTLERS (1821-1838)
POST 1840: THE MOVE AWAY FROM AUBURN TOWNSHIP
AUBURN HISTORY ADDENDUM
RECORDS OF ELECTED PUBLIC OFFICIALS, AUBURN TOWNSHIP, GEAUGA COUNTY 1817-1879
The time period of approximately 1815- 1825 would become known as the Second Great Awakening, a time of religious revival: the growth of the Methodist, Baptist, Disciples of Christ, and even the Church of Latter Day Saints.
This account will provide data on the earliest families in Auburn Township (from 1810-1840), their motives for settling here, and some of their major accomplishments, From the earliest times there was great affiliation with the Portage County towns of Mantua, Hiram, and Nelson to the south because of shared religious beliefs, as well as Bainbridge. It is a fascinating study, which demonstrates the resourcefulness, progressiveness, and adaptability of those who made their way here. The information comes primarily from the journals and diaries of Sidney Rigdon, an ordained minister who started out as a Methodist, became a leader in the Disciples of Christ movement, evolved into the beliefs espoused by the “Campbellite movement,” and upon the death of Joseph Smith, Jr., became a spiritual leader for the Church of Latter Day Saints. He lived with his young family for a time in the 1820s in Bainbridge Township. Enjoy the discoveries.
Original Western Reserve Survey Disivion of Auburn Township
Coincidentally, many of the above names have come to be recognized as names of municipalities in northeast Ohio: Cleveland, Strongsville, Boardman, Hartville, Hubbard, Holland, Rootstown, Atwater, Austintown. Many of these locations are not in Geauga County, but in Portage and Trumbull Counties, but all part of the original Western Reserve of Ohio. There were a total of 93 townships planned by the Connecticut Land Company.
In Auburn, there were originally three tracts of land. The northernmost was that of Hezekiah Clark, which came to be owned by the Darling. Sanford, and Mills Families. The progenitos of the Mills Family were Homer and Harriet Mills. Then, the middle tract was divided amont the Kirtland, Miller, Root, Ely, and Cowles Families. The final, most southerly tract, was owned entirely by members of the Caleb Atwater Family.
The Kirtland land may be the most significant in Auburn Township because of the relevance of the name to the settlement of settlers from western New York, many of whom came to follow Joseph Smith and coincidentally wound up in another Kirtland, the township north of Chester and a part of Geauga County until its annexation to Lake County in 1840, after the Mormons had left the area entirely.
Kirtland Tract in both Burton and Auburn, as well as Kirtland Township, owe their names to one Turhand Kirtland, who fought in the American Revolution and subsequently headed west to settle his parcels in the Western Reserve. Turhand Kirtland was one of twenty-one men who were the first officers of Trumbull County, from which Geauga County was formed. Other names which ring a bell with residents of Geauga County are those of John Kinsman and Edward Brockway and Moses Park.
The very first residents of Auburn Township arrived in 1815 upon purchase of land on the north line, presumably very near Newbury (also known as Newburg). He and his wife Emily Vesey Bradley had been residents of Vermont. One of their children was Emily, who would become Emily Bradley Colim (Collin, Colvin). Together Bildad and Emily would achieve old age in Auburn Township, she dying in 1859 and he dying in 1865.
In November of the same year, John Jackson and Huldah Chadwick Jackson, from Tyringham, Massachusetts, brought their five children, a hired man, and two wagons to Auburn. They conveniently found the home of Bilday and Enily and spent their very first night with the Bradleys after having traveled 41 days at the rate of one mile per hour. When John died in 1824, Huldah was left with seven children that she was able to raise to maturity because of her success as operator of her farm.
That same year Zadock Renwee (or Reuwee) and Lury Snow Renwee also arrived from Tyringham, Massachusetts, with a six-month old son after a 32-day journey. One day in 1817, when Lury left the sleeping child to return flour she had borrowed from “a neighbor,” she came back to find the house engulfed in flames. The bones of the child were buried in town, the first recorded funeral and sermon in Auburn Township.
This was a year in which frosts were reported every month. Enoch Hayes and Drusilla Moore Hayes arrived in February via ox team and wagon, with one cow in tow. Together they produced six children.
David Smith, Sr., and Hannah Orton Smith, his second wife, arrived with five children in tow. These, including David Smith, Jr., were all children from Smith's earlier marriage. They settled on land known as the Ely tract. David, Sr., besides being the first postmaster of Auburn, provided space in his log cabin to provide the first school, and later became justice of the peace to perform marriages and engage in judicial affairs. Son David, Jr., married the first school teacher and himself became justice of the peace. David, Sr., and Lury, still residents in the 1850s, died at ages 89 and 82, respectively.
In the fall of the year Elihu Mott and Caroline Lothrop Mott arrived from Palmyra, New York, just east of Rochester. Like the Bildad Bradley family, they settled on the northern boundary near Newbury, and welcomed Didamia Mott, the first Caucasian child born in Auburn Township. Didamia would become known as Mrs. Daniel Crafts in adulthood.
1817 brought an influx of settlers from New York, primarily the area just south of the Erie Canal known as Palmyra and Walworth. These were neighboring communities, so it is entirely possible that the new residents had known each other before arriving in Auburn.
Benjamin Woods and wife Mehitable Marble Woods, a physician, settled on Ravenna Road, just north of Auburn Corners. Mehitable's sister and her husband, Phillip Ingler, arrived about the same time from Palmyra. Phillip was accidentally killed at a young age by hunters who mistook him for a bear, leaving Mrs Ingler a widow who eventually met her death in a room of her own house.
About the same time several members of the Wilber (Wilbur) family arrived from the same area of New York. They were the families of Elizabeth Wilber Gordineer, and Pardon Wilber. They came from the Schoharie, New York, area. Pardon and Rebecca Bowler Wilber settled in western Auburn and produced George, William, and Rebecca. Pardon would become the fourth justice of the peace, and George would succeed him in that role.
Amaziah Keyes and Nancy Crafts Keyes, from Palmyra, arrived that same year, raising nine children,among them Nancy, Elizabeth, Sally, Amanda, and Eunice.
Several residents from Walworth, New York, came to make Auburn home. They were Amasa Turner and Polly Thayer Turner, Lewis Finley and wife, and Lewis and John Bosworth and their wives. Charles Hinckley (Hinkley) and Nancy Turner Hinckley, also from Walworth, were parents of Nancy Hinckley Fox. Charles' brother Gilbert married Nancy's sister Betsey and produced 11 children. Among these children was Nancy E. Hinckley, a physician who became famous for her work with a “water cure” in Shalersville, Portage County.
In the fall of the year, the first marriage in Auburn joined Samuel Moore and Betsey Keyes Moore. The marriage took place at the home of Betsey's father.
The new settlers continued to arrive from western New York. Rensselaer Granger and Lorana Smith Granger, from Chester, Massachusetts, raised four daughters: Minerva, Rasella, Harriet, and Ellen. From Farmington, New Yor, came Rodger W. Antisdale and Elizabeth Butts Antisdale and George Antisdale, Jr., and Sally Greeley Antisdale. The Rodger Antisdales reared Betsey, who eventually became wife of Cyrus Canfield and mother of his seven children. The George Antisdales produced fourteen children.
The first blacksmith of Auburn Township arrived in 1819. Jonathan P. Barthalomew and Thankful Turner Barthalomew, relatives of the Amasa Turners and the Charles Hinckleys, bought 100 acres. Because there were such a limited number of residents in Auburn, the blacksmith business was not a lucrative one for Barthalomew, who wound up farming. He and his wife produced nine children, one of whom, Drayton, was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg.
Henry Canfield and Rachel Kent Canfield packed up their ten children and departed from Manchester, New York to arrive in the fall of 1820 to settle the southeast corner of the Root tract. Bridge Creek ran through the parcel in the southwest part of Auburn. It became the site of the first sawmill in the township, Eventually William Canfield would purchase the mill and then buy another mill in Hiram before moving to State Road in Mantua. Henry and Rachel produced Hannah Canfield, who would be better known as wife of Judge Martin Dodge of Cleveland.
During this year, David Smith, Jr., married Betsey Orton Woodcock, the teacher at the school located in the home of David Smith, Sr., David, Jr., would eventually become justice of the peace.
Already at this early time, it was apparent that leadership qualities and success in commerce were being transmitted from parents to children. The residents from the western New York area, with exposure to business and agricultural skills gleaned from the transmission of liberal and progressive thought appeared already to dominate Auburn Township.
About that time Betsey Antisdale married into the Canfield family to become the mother of seven children. Sidney Rigdon in his historical account written in Bainbridge described her as
a woman possessed of fine social and intellectual qualities” who was still making crazy quilts well into her seventies. (p. 519)
In 1825 Benjamin Chamberlain (or Chamberlin) and wife Lydia pulled up stakes in western New York State and brought both sets of their parents as well as Benjamin's two brothers to Auburn Township. On their way here, they stopped at a Cattaraugus Indian village. Cattaraugus Indians were of the Seneca Nation in western New York. We are more familiar with the name Chatauqua. The Indians played hosts to the Chamberlins for a night. Some of the party slept in their own wagons and some slept inside the Indian huts, but all of them made it unharmed to Auburn, where it appears that log cabins in the woods were already ready for them.
Sally Greeley, a well-educated Connecticut teenager, accompanied her parents to Auburn about the same time. Sally, a fourteen-year-old, became the school mistress in Parkman. Because there was only one way to get to Parkman from Auburn, through the dense Auburn forest, Sally rode to and from Auburn to Parkman all by herself on horseback.
By 1827, when about sixteen, she married Auburn native, George Antisdale, and became parents of fourteen children. After outliving George, she died in Chagrin Falls.
Within this time period Auburn residents attended worship services. There was at least one “church” in the dense forest. It was typical for the settlers to walk barefoot with their Sunday shoes in hand and then put them on right before entering the church. On one of these occasions Rachel Smith, perhaps a daughter of David Smith, sat down on a log to put on her shoes, when she encountered the “merry black eyes: of George Wilber (Wilbur), whom she would later marry in Auburn Township.
A Palmer daughter, Betsey, later married to a Wadsworth, became the first woman in Auburn to become Assistant Postmaster, a position she held for seventeen years. She was known as a woman of “superior intellect, scholarly tastes, and a very retentive memory,” obviously a “literary woman.”
Daniel Frazee (or Frazer) and wife Rachel Schmuck Frazee and their five children managed to make the trip to Auburn Township from New York by “prairie schooner” in a mere four weeks. Unlike many of the other settlers from New York, she was a Quaker.
In 1828 the Brown family arrived in Auburn. Daughter Laura grew up to marry Henry Capron and produce Sabrina Capron, who married Judge H.C. White of Cleveland and Julia, who married Sherman Eggleston and moved with him to Geneva, at that time part of Geauga County.
Also in 1828 Jacob and Lucy Brooker Ensign packed up their ten offspring in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and made it to Auburn. Daughter Sarah, the eldest, became a school teacher in Auburn before marrying John Richards.
That same year James and Clarissa Lothrop Dutton, from Canandaigua, New York, near Palmyra and the Finger Lakes, arrived in 1828. They were the first residents to pay a teacher for educating local children in their home.
In 1830 John and Patience McNeer Hoard arrived from New York Patience was notable because she “could quote more scripture than any woman” around.
That same year Tile and Damaras Vaugn Stafford and Jeremiah and Ruth Sweet Smith arrived in South Auburn from Palmyra, which was by that time the site of the early Mormon movement. It is possible that Jeremiah Smith was connected to the Joseph Smith, Sr., family in Palmyra. Joseph Smith, Jr, was already in the Bainbridge/Mantua/Hiram/Nelson area, the spiritual leader of a group known as the Colesville Group. Jeremiah's daughter, Mary, would become well-known as “aunt Mary.”
In 1831 Barney and Matilda Goodneough, known as Baptists, arrived in Auburn from Ellisburgh, New York, with all fifteen children.
The Granger Family, also from Palmyra, reached Auburn about the same time. Daughter Sarah, who had received her teaching certificate in Palmyra, married Homer Mills in 1832.
Another Smith, Martha, also a licensed teacher, married Charles Stafford and came to Auburn to farm before becoming established in the hat business with Jerusha Cole and Catherine Hoyt.
In 1832 William and Margaret Jacobs Wadsworth, married in New York in 1806, made the journey to Auburn from Pittsburgh with their ten children. They settled on an existing farm in west Auburn. Sidney Rigdon reported that Margaret had knitted the whole time that she walked en-route from Pittsburgh.
They were followed by Numan and Polly Blodgett Wadswrth, from Harbor Oak, Pennsylvania, with their ten children, that same year.
George and Lucy Barber Bowler, from Carlisle, New York, arrived in 1833 As his second wife, she produced two sons for George. One of them died in the Civil War.
In 1834 William and Betsey Collins arrived. Mrs. Collins in later years, according to the Rigdon account, recalled her presence at a Rochester, New York, (also near Palmyra) reception for General LaFayette in her youth.
In 1835 Moses and Lucy Davis Maynard arrived in Auburn in their fifties with their fourteen children. Known as a woman of “superior intellect,” she lived seven days short of a century and composed a fifteen-line poem at the age of 99.
In 1835 Gilbert Hinckley (Hinkley),a brother of early resident Charles Hinckley, purchased property from Ephraim Wright. Father of Charles and Jerome, Hinckley, Gilbert lived at the site until his death about 1844.
New Yorkers Daniel and Abigail Hinckley Etheridge, moved to Albany and Walworth before coming to Auburn in 1836. She was to become known as the first landlady in Auburn, owning and operating Auburn House.
Nathan Etheridge, the son of Daniel and Abigail, and his wife Louisa Caldwell Etheridge, both from Walworth New York, also arrived that year. After Nathan died, Louisa married Chester Hayes and lived in Auburn for fifty years.
Also in 1836 Elias H. Quinn and Betsey Wan Wagoner Quinn arrived from New York after 23 years of marriage. Betsey was known to be 41 at the time of their arrival with their ten children. Two of these became doctors, one became a lawyer, and one became a teacher.
In 1838 Whipple and Polly Brown Hawkins, in their forties, came to Auburn with their eleven children. A daughter, Maria Antoinette Hawkins, narried Reverend James Baume, and they both became Christian missionaries to India.
The time period of 1821-1828 saw more rapid expansion of Auburn Township. It was becoming more apparent that the bulk of settlers were coming from western New York, the first tracts of land awarded to patriots who had fought in the American Revolution with George Washington. The land in Ohio that comprised Geauga County was a natural expansion westward for those whose fathers had fought in the Revolution.
In addition, it was becoming more apparent that settlers in Geauga County belonged to new religious denominations: Disciples of Christ, Methodists, Baptists, and Quakers, as befit this period of time known as The Great Awakening. They were also educated and many of the women were licensed teachers, encouraging the early development of schools in Auburn. They were not of an elite or privileged, but certainly they were predominantly of the middle class, accustomed to achieving rewards in exchange for taking risks. Auburn Township appeared to be an all-American community of all-Americans who were hopeful and optimistic
Finally, Auburn Township was part of Geauga County with its huge expanse of land, extending north of Chester to include Kirtland as well as Painesville and eastward to include what is now Ashtabula County. It was a huge expanse of land that seemed free for the taking on the Great Frontier known as Geauga County.
It was, after all, the heyday of Ralph Waldo Emerson, the founder of Unitarianism with its focus on Transcendentalism and the Great Oversoul. It was the time of Henry David Thoreau, the first philosopher to espouse civil disobedience and to journalize his experiences in Walden. It was the time of the French philosopher, Alexis de Tocqueville, author of Democracy in America. DeTocqueville was enraptured with America and its Great Frontier. He wrote, “ America is great because America is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”
Charles Stafford, for example, a blacksmith, had newly settled Auburn Township in the 1840s and became well known for his work with furnaces and plows, In middle age, he apparently did not like regularity and predictability. He longed for new adventure and packed up in order to find it. Other Auburn residents developed a thirst for new land and new adventures. Take Ashley Crafts, a descendant of the early Crafts family, who invented the Rising Star cooking stove and earned some financial independence. Shortly thereafter, he apparently turned to new religion; he first became a Methodist and then a Free Will Methodist. Then he and his family left Auburn in search of some emotional or spiritual comfort that Auburn could not afford them..
Then there is the story of Irish native, William Quinn, born in 1786. Making his way to Auburn with his wife in 1832, he bought 800 acres near what came to be known as “May's Mills” after 1836. Outliving his wife, he remarried in Auburn in1849 at the age of 73 and was buried in Auburn in 1852.
Moses Maynard, born in Massachusetts, brought is wife Lucy and fourteen children to Auburn in 1835 at the age of 68. He and Lucy stuck it out here until he died in 1865 at the age of 98 years three months. Lucy died a few years later at the age of 99 years, eleven months, and twenty-three days. They were the oldest couple to die in Auburn Township.
Jude May arrived in 1836 in Auburn to buy Canfield's sawmill and erect the first gristmill in town (hence, the name “May's Mills), but he wound up selling them to William Thorpe.
|By 1837 Joseph Bartholomew had moved his family to Michigan. So had Hiram Webster and Ephraim Wright. Henry Canfield moved to Kansas. William Crafts, purchaser of the entire 1176 acres of the Ely land in Tract Two, sold out to Hiram Brewster and moved to Troy. Hiram Brester in turn sold the land to William Richards, a son of Austin Richards. Pardon Wilbur sold out the same year and moved to Chardon. Joseph Keyes, a son of Amaziah Keyes, moved to Wisconsin. Vivalda Keyes, a brother of Joseph, moved his family to Wisconsin.||
With the approach of the 1840s the first wave of settlers to Auburn Township was not necessarily replenished as these residents reached maturity and started to die off. Further, some of the early families became attracted to the idea of more land to the west and north. Some became attracted to new religious movements and some of those, for instance folks in Mantua, Hiram, Nelson, Bainbridge, and Auburn who followed the development of the Disciples of Christ and its evolution to Mormonism, became aware of the disadvantages of the area and looked for greener pastures west of Geauga County. By this time the self-appointed leader of Mormonism, Joseph Smith, had been tarred and feathered at the Johnson house in Hiram and had incurred indebtedness and legal action against him in Chardon. By this time as well the Mormon temple in Kirtland, constructed by people who lived in Bainbridge as well as in other areas of Geauga County, had been lost in bankruptcy proceedings. Those with Mormon sympathies all over Geauga County, as well as in the Kirtland allotment in Tract Two of Auburn Township, had left by about 1838 toward Jefferson, Missouri, to find better opportunities. It was also the time of Alexander Campbell, a contemporary of Mormon Sidney Rigdon, who wrote his views in the Millennial Harbinger. It was the time for some radical religious behavior: Auburn resident John Brown, in response to religious leaders with whom he disagreed, would throw the pulpit from the Disciples of Christ Church onto a pile of straw in the yard and to set fire to it.
By 1850 early resident Morgan Orton, the first Methodist in Auburn, sold his farm to new resident Johnathan Burnett to settle in Iowa. Austin Richards sold the farm he owned exactly two miles north of Auburn Corners (intersection of Ravenna Road and East Washington Street) and moved to Chardon to work with maple sugar production. The purchaser of the Austin home was Gilbert Hinkley. Also in 1850 Jonathan Burnett, born in New York, sold the farm of 1000 acres that he had gained from marrying a daughter of Oliver Snow. Purchaser was Gilbert Richards, a son of Austin.
Nathaniel Parks, an ancestor of this writer, built a mill on Chardon Square where the Courthouse has stood for over one hundred years. His son, Edwin, married Olive Butts, an Auburn native, in 1850. When she died in 1852, he married her sister Loretta Butts in 1858 and lived in Auburn until his death in 1869.
Oliver Snow became known as a land mogul who outlived three wives before dying at the age of 93. A grandson, Alonzo, bought land south of Auburn Corners, a parcel first owned by Ethan Brewer. The log cabin built by Brewer was the first house on the east side of Ravenna Road.
By the 1870s Hiram Canfield, a son of Henry Canfield, and his son Francis Canfield moved to Austin, Illinois.
And so it went, with as many Auburn residents moving away from the township as moving in. The Golden Age of the 1820s and 1830s was finished.
THE AUBURN BOX WORKS & PLANING MILLBy 1869, when many of the “old-timers” had left the area, Mr. G.W. Barnes established a box factory in partnership with G.W. Stafford. Upon the retiring from the business by Mr. Barnes in 1871, Mr. Stafford became sole owner. The factory was destroyed by fire in 1874, causing Mr. Stafford to move the location of the factory to the center of Auburn, near or at the location of the present Auburn Township Fire Department. The enterprise was thought to be the largest, best box factory in Geauga County for a number of years and performed as well as a feed mill for the area.
SQUIRES FARMGeorge Squire was born in Mantua in Portage County in 1817. His father, Dr. Ezekiel Squire, rode a circuit to aid patients in Mantua, Hiram, Nelson, Parkman, Welshfield, and Troy, before dying at age 41, forcing George to get as good a common-school education as possible on his own. Soon after his 21st birthday, he and his brother, A. J. Squire, purchased a 200-acre farm in Mantua, but he sold his interests to attend medical college in Missouri and to marry Mary C. Palmer of Mantua. The1878 engraving shown is a rendition of their 260 acre farm in Auburn Township, intended to illustrate the comfort that Dr. Squire achieved in his lifetime. Their children were Alice, Arthur, Cora, and Orris.
RECORDS OF ELECTED PUBLIC OFFICIALS, AUBURN TOWNSHIP, GEAUGA COUNTY 1817-1879
It is with great pride that www.auburntownship.org provides this record of civic participation in the affairs of Auburn Township. We are particularly impressed that there was such a healthy participation and fervor for advancing transparent and efficient government during the early ears of the township that it appears that no one individual was able or willing to be elected term after term.
The source of this information is pages 218-220, Pioneer and General History of Geauga County, 1798-1880, published by The Historical Society of Geauga County, 1880. Although no location of publication is typeset on the title page, the word Burton has been penciled in. A copy is available at the Geauga County Archives, located in the cluster of Geauga County Offices at 470 Center Street, Chardon, Ohio 44024, 8:30 AM-4PM.
The following is a record of township officers elected in Auburn since its organization in the spring of 1817. All records being lost from the year 1817 to the year 1827, we are only able to give the names of the justices of the peace elected between those years. And it appears, from Uncle William Crafts' record, that at the first election, Bainbridge and Auburn were one election precinct, and voted together at the first election, which was held at the residence of Ethan Brewer, at Auburn corners:
1817. Justice, Ethan Brewer. The first elected in the township. At this election Auburn and Bainbridge voted together.
1820. Justice, John Jackson. This was the first justice elected by Auburn alone.
1823. Justice, John Jackson. Re-elected, and died in 1824.
1824. Justice, Charles Hinckley.
1827. Justice, David Smith, sr. Served part of the term and resigned. The balance of officers elected that year were as follows: Trustees, Charles Hinckley, Joseph Webster, and Roger W. Antisdale; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, Lorin Snow; constable, William Squire.
1828. Justices, Austin Richards and Pardon Wilber; trustees, B. F. Chamberlain, Pardon Wilber, and William Crafts; treasurer, Elisha Gorham; clerk, George Wilber; constables, Ethan Brewer and George W. Antisdale.
1829. Trustees, Joseph Woodard, Lorin Snow, and Charles Hinckley; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, George Wilber; constables, Ransler Granger and Hiram Canfield.
1830. Trustees, Zadock Reuwee, Elisha Gorham, and Daniel Wheelock; treasurer, Alvirus Snow; clerk, David Smith, Jr.; constables, Jonathan Burnett and Hiram Canfield.
1831. Justices, Austin Richards and B. F. Chamberlain; trustees, Leicester Perkins, Ransler Granger, and Willis Woods; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, James T. Dutton; constables, S. E. Lacy and Jonathan Burnett.
1832. Trustees, Austin Richards, Thomas Page, and Zadock Reuwee; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, Lorin Snow; constables, Hiram Canfield and J. C. Jackson.
1833. Trustees, Benjamin Barney, Daniel Wheelock, and Jonathan Burnett; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, David Smith, Jr.; constables, Peter O. Hall and George Wilber.
1834. Justices, George Wilber and Austin Richards; trustees, Ashley Crafts, Stephen Oliver, and B. F. Chamberlain; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, Jonathan Burnett; constables, James C. Jackson and Eli H. McConoughey.
1835. Trustees, Charles Hinckley, J. C. Waterman, and Lorin Snow; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, Hervey Harrington; constables, Jonathan Burnett and Ransler Granger.
1836. Trustees, David Stafford, Lyman Brewster, and David Smith, Jr.; treasurer, Hervey Harrington; clerk, William Crafts; constables, Ransler Granger and Jonathan Burnett.
1837. Justices, George Wilber and Austin Richards; trustees, David Smith, Jr., Charles Hinckley, and Joshua Stafford; treasurer, A. E. Barnes; clerk, Hervey Harrington; constables, Ransler Granger and Jonathan Burnett.
1838. Trustees, David Smith, Jr., Joshua Stafford, and Amos Mason; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, Hervey Harrington; constables, Ransler Granger and James C. Jackson.
1839. Trustees, David Smith, Jr., Joshua Stafford, and Jude May; treasurer, A. E. Barnes; clerk, Hervey Harrington; constables, Jonathan Burnett and Hunting Trescott.
1840. Justice, Austin Richards; trustees, Hiram Canfield, Jonathan Burnett, and Alfred Thompson; treasurer, A. E. Barnes; clerk, Hervey Harrington; constables, Anson Jackson and Henry Capron.
1841. Trustees, Jonathan Burnett, Hiram Canfield, and Joshua Stafford; treasurer, William Crafts; clerk, David Smith, Jr.; constables, Anson Jackson and Henry Capron.
1842. Justice, Jude May; trustees, Jonathan Burnett, Hiram Canfield, and Joshua Stafford; assessor, David Smith, Jr.; treasurer, Leicester Perkins; clerk, David Smith, Jr.; constables, Alonzo Miller and Leverett Barney.
1843. Justice, David Smith, Jr.; trustees, Hiram Canfield, Austin Richards, and Thomas Hood; assessor, Jonathan Burnett; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, James C. Jackson; constables, Lines S. Pope and Tyrus Canfield.
1844. Trustees, Austin Richards, Hosea Barnes, and Lorin Snow; assessor, Jonathan Burnett; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, James C. Jackson; constables, Tyrus Canfield and P. O. Hall.
1845. Justice, B. F. Chamberlain; trustees, Hosea Barnes, Lorin Snow, and Harvey Gilbert; assessor, Henry Capron; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, James C. Jackson; constables, Charles Stafford and George Johnson.
1846. Justice, David Smith, Jr.; trustees, Collins Y. Capron, Samuel S. Philips, and Elias H. Fish; assessor, David Smith, Jr.; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, James C. Jackson; constables, Charles Stafford and David C. McConoughey.
1847. Trustees, C. Y. Capron, P. O. Hall, and J. C. Jackson; assessor, A. E. Barnes; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, Charles O. Dutton; constables, David C. McConoughey and John H. Barnes.
1848. Justice, D. C. McConoughey; trustees, P. O. Hall, John H. Ross, and Henry Capron; assessor, John Quinn; treasurer, George Johnson; clerk, C. O. Dutton; constables, Oliver P. Hayes and Leverett L. Barney.
1849. Justice, David Smith, Jr.; trustees, David Stafford, Jonathan Burnett, aud John Quinn; assessor, Ransler Granger; treasurer, Charles Stafford; clerk, Nicholas Fish; constables, James T. Dutton and George Harpham.
1850. Trustees, Leicester Perkins, Jude May, and J. C. Jackson; assessor, Edward Crafts; treasurer, C. D. Hinckley; clerk, John Quinn; constables, O. J. Bissell and Clinton Stafford.
1851. Justice, D. C. McConoughey; trustees, George Wilber, J. C. Jackson, and Hiram Canfield; assessor, Tyrus Canfield; treasurer, James T. Dutton; clerk, Nicholas Fish; constables, S. L. Wadsworth and Seth Cook.
1852. Justice, Jonathan Burnett; trustees, Edward Crafts, John Quinn, and George Wilber; assessor, George Wilber; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, Jerome Hinckley; constables, S. L. Wadsworth and L. L. Barney.
1853. Trustees, John Mayhew, Homer Mills, and Calvin Brewster; assessor, S. L. Wadsworth; treasurer, Albert G. Etheridge; clerk, Jerome Hinckley; constables, William C. Dutton and Lyman S. T. Brewster.
1854. Justices, Calvin Brewster; trustees, Homer Mills, A. B. Hoard, and Henry May; assessor, David Robinson; treasurer, A. G. Etheridge; clerk, Nicholas Fish; constables, William C. Dutton and L. S. T. Brewster.
1855. Justice, Jonathan Burnett; trustees, Benjamin Crafts, Tyrus Canfield, and C. O. Dutton; assessor, David Robinson; treasurer, A. G. Etheridge; clerk L. C. Ludlow; constables, L. S. T. Brewster, and Ezra Luther.
1856. Trustees, C. O. Dutton, William Crafts, and Zeno Eggleston; assessor, Edward Crafts; treasurer, Charles Stafford; clerk, Jerome Hinckley; constables, Charles Stafford, and L. S. T. Brewster.
1857. Justice, Calvin Brewster; trustees, Edward Crafts, Hiram Canfield, and Peter O. Hall; assessor, O. P. Hayes; treasurer, Charles Stafford; clerk, J. Hinckley; constables, George W. Stillwell, and S. L. Wadsworth.
1858. Justice, Jonathan Burnett; trustees, A. A. Snow, E. Y. Hannum, and George A. Peabody; assessor, Henry Capron; treasurer, John Spencer; clerk, W. C. Dutton; constables, James T. Dutton, and G. W. Stillwell.
1859. Trustees, Lewis C. Reed, Russell Hall, and John Quinn; assessor, Nicholas Fish; treasurer, David Robinson; clerk, T. F. Stafford; constables, G. W. Stillwell and S. L. Wadsworth.
1860. Justice, Henry Capron; trustees, Russell Hall, Francis Canfield, and Calvin Brewster; assessor, George Dutton; treasurer, John Mayhew; clerk, S. L. Wadsworth; constables, G. W. Stillwell, and A. J. Barney.
1861. Trustees, Francis Canfield, W. C. Dutton, and Benjamin Crafts; assessor, A. T. Wing; treasures, John Mayhew; clerk, S. L. Wadsworth; constables, G. W. Stillwell, and Ambrose A. Butts.
1862. Justice, Jerome Hinckley; trustees, Benjamin Crafts, Clement Messenger, and A. A. Snow; assessor, Henry Rice; treasurer, Charles Stafford; clerk, W. N. White; constables, A. A. Butts, and George W. Stillwell.
1863. Justice, Henry Capron; trustees, George Squire, Clement Messenger, and Benjamin Crafts; assessor, F. Canfield; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, W. N. White; constables, A. T. Wing, and S. L. Wadsworth.
1864. Justice, S. L. Wadsworth; trustees, Francis Canfield, Daniel R. Bray, and W. C. Dutton; assessor, William Hood; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, W. N. White; constables, L. L. Webster and G. W. Stafford.
1865. Justice, A. T. Wing; trustees, Francis Canfield, William Hood, and Clinton Stafford; assessor, A. A. Snow; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, W. N. White; constables, Thomas Hoard and D. J. Hinckley.
1866. Trustees, William Hood, J. T. Dutton, and L. S. Reuwee; assessor, John Frazee; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, W. N. White; constables, N. C. Keyes and S. S. Eggleston.
1867. Justice, S. L. Wadsworth; trustees, William Hood, J. T. Dutton, and W. H. Mills; assessor, B. F. Ludlow; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, W. N. White; constables, Willis Chase and Merritt Dutton.
1868. Justice, David W. Russ; trustees, A. T. Wing, Francis Canfield, and J. T. Dutton; assessor, B. F. Ludlow; treasurer, Jerome Hinckley; clerk, H. H. Rice; constables, Merritt Dutton and T. C. Bartholomew.
1869. Justice, George W. Wilson; trustees, A. T. Wing, G. A. Richards, and A. A. Snow; assessor, Charles O. Dutton; treasurer, W. N. White; clerk, George W. Stafford; constables, Byron W. Sprague and Merritt Dutton; real estate assessor, A. A. Snow.
1870. Justice, S. L. Wadsworth; trustees, A. A. Snow, G. A. Richards, and S. S. Eggleston; assessor, A. T. Wing; treasurer, W. N. White; clerk, George W. Stafford; constables, J. M. Boomer and Edwin Robinson, Jr.; real estate assessor, A. A. Snow.
1871. Trustees, S. S. Eggleston, A. Colvin, and F. Canfield; assessor, A. T. Wing; treasurer, W. C. Dutton; clerk, G. W. Stafford; constables, T. F. Maynard and E. Robinson, Jr.
1872. Justice, George W. Wilson; trustees, Francis Canfield, S. S. Eggleston, and P. O. Hall; assessor, George W. Mayhew; treasurer, William C. Dutton; clerk, G. W. Stafford; constables, P. C. Stafford and John M. Stillwell.
1873. Justices, S. L. Wadsworth and George Dutton; trustees, A. T. Wing, F. H. Mills, and W. C. Dutton; assessor, G. W. Mayhew; treasurer, G. W. Barnes; clerk, G. W. Stafford; constables, A. H. Richards and E. Robinson, Jr.
1874. Trustees, A. T. Wing, F. H. Mills and W. C. Dutton; assessor, H. E. Andrews, treasurer, G. W. Stafford; clerk, C. A. Mills; constables, A. H. Richards and J. A. Stafford.
1875. Trustees, H. E. Andrews, Clinton Stafford and E. S. Mills; assessor, Byron W. Sprague; treasurer, G. W. Stafford; clerk, C. A. Mills; constables, J. A. Stafford and Adolphus G. Canfield.
1876. Justices, C. A. Mill and George Dutton; trustees, L. S. Reuwee, T. F. Maynard and A. T. Wing; assessor, L. L. Webster; treasurer, George W. Stafford; clerk, Nicholas Fish; constables, L. N. Stafford and E. Robinson, Jr.
1877. Trustees, A. T. Wing, H. E. Andrews and T. F. Maynard; assessor, S. L. Costlow; treasurer, George W. Stafford; clerk, Byron G. Dutton; constables, E. Robinson, Jr., and Homer M. Andrews.
1878. Trustees, William Wilber, A. T. Wing and W. C. Dutton; assessor, H. E. Andrews; treasurer, G. W. Stafford; clerk, C. A. Mills; constables, H. M. Andrews and A. G. Canfield.
1879. Justices, C. A. Mills and S. L. Wadsworth; trustees, H. E. Andrews, Ozro Truman and G. A. Richards; assessor, H. E. Andrews; treasurer, Spencer F. Chamberlain; clerk, Byron G. Dutton; constables, H. M. Andrews and Pitt M. Crafts; real estate assessor, William C. Dutton.